Day 1 - July 19th, 2015. 5.5 miles. It's only 7:33 PM and I am exhausted! I just had a mosquito land on my finger. I am beginning to wonder if sleeping in the shelter might be bad in comparison to a netted tent. Regardless, I was picked up today by my friends Mary and Timmy and driven to Port Clinton. Along the way,we stopped at Kutztown, where Timmy went to college, and we got Spuds burgers. It was like a Fourth of July fireworks show of kick ass tastes and awesomeness in my mouth! Definitely worth the trip just for the burger!
I did the 5.5 miles to the shelter. I walked slowly (possibly because of the burger) and I got eaten alive by mosquitos. My mind isn't in the hike today and could be because of poor sleep the past few nights. Here's hoping to a great start for tomorrow! I met only one hiker that I talked to. His name is Kylie (Spelling?) And started in April. We said hello and introduced ourselves. Nice enough guy! We will see if we end up in the same place tomorrow. Planning on a 16.5 mile day. Big day out of the chute, but dream big right? Ok, it's ten minutes later and I can't stop yawning! Not a bad start and hears to making it to Vermont uninjured!!!!
Day 2 - July 20th, 2015. 9.1 miles. Woke up covered in mosquito bites and exhausted. I did not sleep well at all. Shared an apple with Kylie for breakfast and set off a little before 8AM. Came to Pulpit Rock about 40 minutes into my hike for a nice view! The climb there wasn't too bad at all. Ridge walked my way to The Pinnacle, which is supposed to be the best view from the AT in PA. I liked Pulpit Rock better, but still a nice view. The rest of my day was slow, with a lot of knee pain and a lot of rests.
Mentally, I am drained with lots of highs and lots of lows. Seriously doubting whether I will make it to Bennington in time. Between my Achilles and (again) twisting my right ankle, I decided I should go against the big mile days into Delaware Water Gap in six days and readjust to seven days. This will allow me to adjust back into the hike and not feel so pressured to make huge mile days. I can always catch up later. Starting is often the hardest, as I always want to do 15 mile days right off the bat, but it doesn't work that way so I get discouraged. I need to toughen up mentally again, as hiking is much more about the mental and less about the physical!
I stopped at Eckville Shelter, which is easily one of the nicest shelters on the AT, and had lunch with Kylie. He moved on and I stayed to play Solitaire and stretch my muscles out. I met David and David (a father and son who are 44 and 13) and have been chatting with them. They will probably be on the same track as me to Palmerton at least. My right ankle is a little sore right now and I hope I stop twisting it. Tomorrow should be a 13.4 mile day with only one big climb early in the morning. I already miss my friends and family and chatting and being connected, but it is always a good thing to disconnnect, recharge, and evaluate who and what is important. Hope everyone had a great Monday and stayed out of this god forsaken heat!!!!
Day 3 - July 21, 2015. 17.4 miles. First, I walked further than my new plan. Second, it has been an interesting day. Third, to hell with Pennsylvania and it's rocks! Rocks, rocks, everywhere! I started the morning tired, as I slept crappy again and managed less than eight hours, waking up every 30 minutes or so. I got started at 7:30 AM, which is good, as I really want to try to start around 7 so I can avoid the heat. It has been unbearably hot the past three days. Here's hoping to cooler days ahead!
The climb for the day went by fast enough with little excitement. I listened to music to help (I didn't have headphones in 2013, so music helps a lot) and began my climb. I came to Dan's Pulpit and saw David and David again. It is so nice to see a father and a son out hiking. The younger David is a Boy Scout and working on his hiking badges. He is quite the hiker at 13 and immensely better than I was at that age. Seeing them reminds me of hiking with my father when I was younger. They mentioned going the 17.4 to Bake Knob Shelter instead of camping at 13.4 and I said I was considering it too.
After I left them, I walked to Allentown shelter. I felt miserable. My left ankle was bugging me, my knees were stiff, and I was tired. I finally hit Allentown after 7.4 miles and ate my dinner for lunch. I stayed at the shelter for two hours, eating, drinking water, talking with D and D, met a thru hiker named Baer ( pronounced Bear), and even took a tiny nap. This morning I start Vitamin I ( ibuprofen) to try to help with my Achilles and this seemed to help quite a bit this afternoon. I decided to try the 10 remaining miles to Bake Oven Knob Shelter and took off.
I hiked 4.1 miles in an hour and ten minutes. Not the smartest thing, but I felt good enough. I met up with Baer again, got lost and walked a quarter of a mile before realizing I had to turn back (added half a mile to my already long day which was upsetting).
The remainder of my hike to Bear Rock was amazing. I felt like I was back in my groove (Stella got it back? Emperor's New groove?) and I was hiking light and freely. Went over Knife's Edge, which is the top of the ridgeline and nothing but rocks which was fun and came to Bear Rock. I can't describe how amazing this view was. I mentioned yesterday how many people say The Pinnacle is the best view. Well those people haven't seen Bear Rock. It was a 360° view of both valleys from the top of the mountain, with huge boulders to climb and just breathtaking views. I think it is easily in the top three places I have been on the AT. Then I heard something. Something that sounded like thunder. And I looked to the West and saw the faint outline of a storm. I practically ran over Bake Oven Knob (which is a shame because I wanted to hang out there) and got to the shelter just ahead of the rain. It ended up not being much of a storm, but I am dry and I only have a 8 mile day tomorrow. If I had only gone to the 13.4 campsite,I would be wet and have a 12 mile day tomorrow. I am sure my body will tell me how much of a mistake I made today, but I ended with D and D, Baer, and met Loop and Jimbo? (I think). Everyone has been great I have met. D and D will be moving ahead of me and finishing before I will catch back up to them. I wish them the best of luck in their future hikes! Sorry this one is so long. A great day! I'm exhausted, so I'm going to go to bed, but what started off as a pretty miserable day ended up being a great day of hiking! Happy trails!
Day 4. July 22, 2015. 9.0 miles. I got up and ate quickly, breaking camp at about 8ish. Later than I wanted, but I slept in a bit. I have a blister under my big toe. I inherited it from the rocks of PA. I walked lightly and happily. I caught up with D and D, passed them, and saw them again at the next shelter. I had a quick rest and said good bye. I wish good luck to them in all their future hikes!
I made my way down to the highway and hitched a ride to Palmerton. It only took me five minutes to get a ride. I went to gas station and found out the hostel was closed, the hotel was full, and there was only a B&B left. The B&B wanted $120 for a ride and one night. While that would have been nice, I decided against it for cost. Two weeks from now, I might take that offer!
I resupplied at a grocery store, walked to the One Ten Tavern, and had some beers, pierogis, and a burger. Good food, Jimbo showed up, and nice to relax. I hiked the side trail back from Palmerton (an extra 1.5 miles onto my day), said goodbye to Jimbo, and went back to where I left off to reconnect my piece.
I am now waiting for the sun to go down so I can setup my tent in the open and avoid climbing a hell of a mountain until morning. My blister isn't too bad,but if it bursts, it will be bad. Let's hope it heals up and tomorrow's 15.5 doesn't cause it to get worse (wishful thinking).
****Update for Day Four - I totaled at 9 miles for the day (of the trail). I climbed the Lehigh Gap. It was intense. It was nine tenths of a mile up with around 1,000 feet of elevation change. At one point, I stopped and had to put my trekking poles in my pack because the climb was all rock and nearly vertical. It was awesome! So much fun to climb but exhausting. I decided to go for it because a SoBo (South bounder walking from Maine to Georgia) said there was a campsite a mile up. Makes my day shorter tomorrow and I did the monster climb already.
I got to the campsite and met Happy Baby and Pegleg again. I also met Bodyglide and Chuckles. They are all fun loving hikers, enjoying the trail. I am currently lying in my tent, pretty tired, so I'm going to head off to the land of dreams. Night ya'll!!!
Cimmentary: I felt crappy until after lunch on Day 3. I really feel much better and I feel like I am getting my hiking legs back. This blister needs to go, otherwise I feel pretty good. I am still going to take it slowly, as to avoid injury. I have been told twice now about my shoes being defective and I can see where the stitches are coming out. I will push them as long as I can, but they aren't holding out well. I guess it's back to my Moabs when I get back.
It is good to be back on the trail, but the first couple of days are always tough. I am still readjusting, but mentally I feel a million times better than the first three days. I am hoping as my mileage increases, so does my enthusiasm and I keep riding this high. I doubt that I will, as it is the way of hiking, but for right now, I'm going to enjoy the climb of the roller coaster!!! Hope you all are doing well and comfortable! I haven't showered in four days! The hiker trash smell has returned. Happy trails!!!




Thanks for the excellent blog. Loved reading it. Hope your blister doesn't pop. Enjoy the ride! Love and miss you, Ma
ReplyDelete